By default, documents will open in the browser. To change the default to have documents open in the desktop (client) application, follow the instructions below:
1. Click the document library to work with in the Quick Launch Toolbar.
2. Click Library on the top ribbon, then Library Settings.
3. Under General Settings, click Advanced settings.
4. In the Content Types section, select the Yes option button to allow management of content types.
5. In the Opening Documents in the Browser section, choose the Open in the client application option in order to use the desktop application for opening documents.
6. Click OK to save.