To obtain the message header from an e-mail, please refer to the various e-mail client procedures or tutorial videos. If more information is needed, please see the specific e-mail client software manual.
*Note: Microsoft Outlook modifies the headers of attached e-mails, inserts “X-MS-Has-Attach” into the headers, and strips out a lot of our filtering notes. In order for support to suggest specific changes to your filter please email us by copy/pasting the headers from the Original message into a notepad or word document, and not send them as attachments.
Microsoft Outlook 2010
Click here to view the Outlook 2010 Header Information tutorial video.
Microsoft Outlook 2013/2016
1. Double-click the message that you want to open.
2. Select File from the top menu, then select Properties.
3. In the Properties window, copy the text from the Internet headers section.
Click here to view the Mac Mail Header Information tutorial video.
Mac Outlook 2011
Click here to view the Outlook 2011 Header Information tutorial video.
1. Click the File menu.
2. From here, click Properties and the Details tab.
3. Click Message Source.
4. Press Ctrl A to select all the header information, and then press Ctrl C to copy the Internet header information.
Lotus Notes 6.x
You might be able to get header information (of an open e-mail) by clicking View, Show, and then Page Source. This will show the entire contents of the message, with of course, the headers at the top of the message. Also, in Lotus Notes version 4x, 5x, you can click Edit/Properties. From here, click the 2nd tab, and you'll find quite a number of fields. Lotus Notes breaks up the various header entries into various received fields, which have been individually selected, and can be copied and pasted. A little cumbersome, but a method that I've had to use for troubleshooting in the past. Please note that some versions or installations of Lotus Notes do not comply with Internet standards and discard the headers. If that is the case, you should contact your system administrator to see if there are any logs of incoming mail that might assist you. You as the user will not be able to get the headers at all. Please see Notes.net for further information.
Google Mail (GMail)
Click here to view the Gmail Header Information tutorial video.
Click here to view the Yahoo! Mail Header Information tutorial video.
1. Open the message.
2. In the message window, click File, Attachments, and View.
3. Select the Mime.822 attachment.
1. Select the e-mail message.
2. Click View, Headers, and All.
3. Click Forward and send the message to the appropriate e-mail address.
4. To hide the full headers again, click View, Headers, and Normal.